Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 4

The word thankful is such an understatement when it comes to this day of thankfulness. Yesterday I was overwhelmed with how thankful I am for my dad. My whole drive back after the Colts game, I just couldn't stop thinking about him.

I miss my dad so much. This weekend he took me to Pacers opening night and the Colts game. Going to sporting events is something I have done with my dad (and mom, too) since I was born. I can't walk into a Pacers game with my dad and not be taken back to when I was so little I couldn't see over the people in front of me ....when they were sitting down. I would be jumping up and down standing like a good girl on my seat screaming for our team. Screaming "boom baby" at the top of my lungs. Crying the morning they imploded Market Square Arena, where my dad and I had planned to move in there some day and make it our big giant house. As an 18 year old crying at Reggie's last regular season game and his final playoff game. All these times where I'm sure I embarrassed the crap out of my dad, but he never once told me to sit down...or refuse to take me. I was always there with my supportive dad right next to me. 


Going to sporting events is our thing. I am so thankful that my dad has always taken me with him. Whether it be taking me to every Indians game, so many Reds games, a Reds playoff game, Pacers games, Pacers playoff games, every single Colts game and Colts playoff game, driving me to South Bend to see Notre Dame, or taking me to 2 Super Bowls.... none of these games would have been the same without my dad. He explained the game to me. Tells me the history. Shows me every single baseball card ever made and it's significance. We talk about life, crazy fans around us, and how running up the middle never works. 



Going to these games is how we love to spend time together, but it's still such a small part in why I'm so thankful for him. He has absolutely spoiled me rotten with how much he's given me. My first car, my college education, my graduation present of yet another new car and my dream wedding. As much monetary value as those things have, the sentimental value and the things he taught me along that path are so much more valuable to me. Him and my mom are the most generous people I know. They would give the shirt off their back to anyone who needed it. They are incredibly selfless and have taught me so much about the meaning of being a servant and giving. 







My dad has also taught me about loyalty, passion, loving unconditionally, grace, acceptance, and more about parenting than I ever knew he was teaching me. He has taught me the importance of laughing, mostly from being the one who makes me laugh so hard. His laugh is contagious and is loud enough for me to hear all the way in Fort Wayne. He's such an amazing role model, teacher, father and grandfather. 

So many people tell me I'm just like my dad. What a wonderful compliment. 


I love you Dad!

2 comments: