Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

People still do cloth diapers?

I get that question all the time.

There are a few reasons why we choose to use cloth diapers:
1) It's MUCH cheaper (it seems intimidating and expensive at first, but it takes no time at all to justify the cost)
2) We're putting less nasty diapers/wipes in landfills
3) It's better for Josiah's skin

I will say, however, that we do not use cloth 100% of the time. Here's why:
1) We only have 6 cloth diapers. I haven't spend any of our money on cloth diapers. If Josiah gets cash for any reason (from the baby showers or from grandma's "mad money"), I spent it on diapers. So I've actually been "ahead" the whole time and didn't have to justify my cost. I do plan on buying more though.
2) I can't bring myself to change a cloth diaper and having that thing in my diaper bag if we're out and about. This happened once and the smell has pretty much haunted me. (I know there are bags for these things to prevent it from making everything in your diaper bag/purse smell like urine/poop, but since I don't intentionally take him out in cloth, I haven't invested in this device)

I think when I tell any generation before mine that we use cloth at home, they picture this:


Absolutely not. I can't imagine how many blow outs these babies had when they had to wear these things. That just sounds terrible and dangerous.

We have only tried 2 different kinds of diapers, but between the 2 (Fuzzibunz and bumGenius) I like the Fuzzibunz better. We use the all-in-one (one size fits all). The elastic is adjustable and there are plenty of snaps to accommodate his ever growing body!  As with disposables, not all diapers are meant for all babies. The main reason I like Fuzzibunz better is because they have a thicker insert. The Bumgenius is really thin and gets absolutely soaked really fast, thus making it leak out faster. 





(mine doesn't have the white fasteners at the front like this one, but I liked that it showed what everything is)

Mine looks like this



Stay tuned for more on cloth diapering and cloth wipes:)





2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about the cleaning of cloth diapers. That's what stopped me. I do have several friends who use cloth diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really really really easy! I will get to that soon:)

    ReplyDelete