Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Set-up

One of the things that drove me crazy when I was pregnant was how to organize his room. I can't tell you how many times I re-organized it before he was even born.

I have noticed that our "set-up" changes just as much as he does. Almost every time he grows out of a certain size of clothes/diapers/shoes, I rearrange. This is why the Rubbermaid HomeFree Series is my all time favorite. Ever since my cheap-o closet in college collapsed on me, I have been addicted to this closet system (yes it's possible).

One of the first things I did when we moved into this house was tear out everything that was in my closet and replace it with this system. It has so much versatility, which is perfect for how many times a month year I change it. It is only sold at Lowes (at least in Indiana, that I've found). There are so many other closet systems that I dream about (Elfa), but that is not quite in my budget. This does the same thing, it just doesn't look near as pretty when compared.

So when I found out I was pregnant, I of course had to go get Josiah the same closet system because I knew it would be perfect for a wardrobe that changes every 3 months. (Don't we all wish we got all new clothes every 3 months?)

I actually just switched everything around last week. He is going to be a year old next week and he's pretty spot on when it comes to switching clothing sizes (especially with Carters). There is a whole top shelf that you can't see from this dark picture (I realized as I started writing this that I hadn't taken a picture of the closet and Josiah is sleeping so I didn't want to turn on the light).The top right self looks a bit awkward because of how high it is, but the basket underneath it is filled with shoes. I need space to be able to easily lift it out of there to dig through and find what shoes I want him to wear. 

I also didn't have that much hanging space before I switched it. You can see a divide in the bottom row (mostly with empty hangers), everything to the right is what fits him right now, EVERYTHING else is 12 month clothes (plus the bin on the floor that is in the way until I can put it into the dresser drawers). 

I used to have his changing table across the room, but a few months ago I moved it over to so I could actually utilize the hanging space more efficiently. Who wants to walk across the room with a naked baby to find out what you want him to wear? Or keep all those cute polos folded up in a drawer? It's much easier to be able to block him from jumping falling off the table and flipping through all his clothes right next to me.

But really the point of this post isn't to show you his crazy closet, it's to explain our set-up of the cloth diapers and wipes and how it is working for us right now


This is inside the top drawer of the changing table. 
  • An empty shoe box to contain all those tiny socks (otherwise they run crazy in the drawer). 
  • The Trend Lab Storage Caddy holds the disposable diapers (which aren't in there in this picture) and his wipes. 
  • A basket that was actually given to him as his Easter basket (by yours truly) holds his cloth diapers. 



This looks a little crazy, but it works. I'll go from left to right explaining what everything is and why it's there:
  • Hand sanitizer (obviously)
  • Wipe solution (in the Bath & Body Works soap bottle that I up-cycled). This is squirted onto the wipes for the extra stinky diaper changes.
  • Spray bottle. This has a much more diluted wipe solution in it that I spray into his diaper area before wiping.
  • Squirt bottle. Used to get the wipes wet.
  • Prince Lionheart wipe warmer. They actually make one designed for cloth wipes Warmies Wipe Warmer. I received this as a shower gift and it works just fine. 
  • The cloth wipes are just the thin terry cloth baby wash cloths Like These. You can find these anywhere (Target, Walmart, Meijer). I have some from pretty much everywhere. But these are my absolute favorite. 
  • Underneath on the left side are the rolled up "wipes" that are waiting to be warm:)
  • That roll that looks like toilet paper or paper towels is actually diaper liners. I had seen these online but didn't understand their importance until my wonderful friend Bridgette explained them to me. I would have probably given up on cloth diapering if it weren't for these guys!
  • The back right cubbie has 2 different kinds of thermometers (temporal and the regular one that never seems to work), his brush and comb.
  • The front cubbie has his A&D and Desitin. They are almost empty and those are the only ones I have bought and he's only a year old. This is all because we mostly use cloth diapers and you SHOULD NOT use any ointment with cloth diapers. 
If you refer back up to the first picture of the closet, this is another important element in cloth diapering. It took me until a few months ago to find what worked for me. At first, I was just using one of those bags that they give want you to buy at the grocery store (I have a lot of them, I'm not saying that because I'm against them) to put all the dirty stinky diapers in. Gross. 

I had been reading about the diaper pail liners but hadn't brought myself to spend the money (whooo $15...shows you how frugal I can be) I finally bought this. (Can you tell I love Amazon?) The problem was I couldn't find a small enough trash can that had a lid. I wanted something small that could fit into the bottom of his closet. I FINALLY found one at Kroger (so random?) that was perfect. I can push the little button with my foot so I can keep one hand on the baby and one on the nasty diaper;) The pail liner fits right in there and when it comes time to wash them, I can just put all if into the washer. Awesome.





No comments:

Post a Comment